Skip to main content

One day In the life of a freelancer




It is a herculean task to get anything done from home for a freelancer. I came to this conclusion after I tried to work from home. I thought I would be able to spend family  time as well. I hate to admit it, but I was so wrong.   

Not only was it impossible to get any work done, I could barely ideate. I was constantly yelling at the kids to keep their voices down as I struggled to conjure up my thoughts after  reading the brief.

All I managed was jotting down three to four points for the given assignment . I went to bed thinking I would wake up early and start afresh the next day.

  I had  originally planned  to  start  the  day  at  six but then had to reschedule it to eight o’clock, since the kids left for school. 

 After bidding them goodbye, I was relieved that I had the whole day to do my work. 

As I switched on my computer the door bell rang. It was the milk man. I put  the milk to boil, indulged in a cup of hot tea and returned to my desk. 
Time flew and it was nine o' clock .
 I opened up Microsoft Word to write , the door bell rang once again. This time it was the  newspaper guy. I realised I hadn't  read the newspaper ever since I started going to the office. 
The only news I read was on the Internet and frankly speaking it  never matched up to the news one reads in a newspaper.   

He presented me with a bill which was long overdue which meant  I had to pay. After dispensing  off with the records and payment, I looked at the newspaper and inadvertently began to read.
The  newspaper had brought the news from all over the world to the forefront  of  my  attention.

The difference between the news on the Internet and the written word is, its air  of exclusivity.It is a personal  connection  with  not  only  the  information but also with  another  individual. When  you  read  to  yourself  it is  as  if  the  author  is  writing  for  you  and to you. His  or  her  work  takes on a voice of its own  and  engages  you  in  a  way  that  cannot be expressed on a webpage .  
 
 Our  technological  world  today gives us far too much information.Yet I find it difficult to retrieve and recollect later. 
 We are constantly  bombarded  with  information every second a day but our  brains  don't really get  the  necessary  downtime to  process  everything new. Ultimately,it leads to short term memory and confusion that  goes  unnoticed in  the  constant  stream  of  information, making learning incredibly difficult to some. 
 
Nine o’clock had rolled by to ten with Microsoft Word staring at me from the desktop. I had not even begun.  
Without wasting any more time on elusive thoughts,I started to write. My deadline was four o' clock.  
Midway,the sound of an alert came from my phone. It was a Facebook alert for a friends birthday .
 I just had to wish her lest I forgot later in the day. On opening up Facebook, I saw   five more notifications and two reminders. I had no choice but answer.  
Courtesy says that I should communicate with my readers and answer their queries promptly. So I did precisely that .  
I wound up with Facebook and looked at my desktop . It was eleven o'clock . I hadn't even started my first assignment . 
The desktop showed 2 notifications in my inbox ,three on my word press ,and six on hotmail . 
I was tempted to open them up. I decided not to till I finished the assignment. Work has always been my priority. All these chores came later.
 I began on a serious note but could not concentrate. I wondered about the notifications. For all I know, it was an assignment I was pitching for.  
Perhaps,it was a meeting lined up for  one of my clients .

The urge to satiate my curiosity took over. Surely, it would not take more than a few minutes . I could start my assignment straight after that. 

The cook came in .'What should I make for lunch ? ' he asked. I told him this was no  to ask me . He seemed offended.'Its one o' clock, and the children will be here at two'.
I looked at the watch . It was one o' clock . Five hours since I got out of bed.  
 What  had  I  done  for  the  last  five  hours?  Absolutely  nothing.  I  had browsed   different  web  pages,  sent a few  text  messages  and  read some emails. It was     essentially  nothing  because  out  of  all  that  I  didn't  remember   a  single  piece  of  productive work. 
    
Five hours had gone  by  in  the  blink  of  an  eye,  and  I  had  nothing  to  show  for  it.  It  was  at  that  moment  that  I  realized  that  technology is having  a  less  than  beneficial  effect  on  my  life. 
There must be so many people out there who must be experiencing that. 
 Advancement in technology is great,but when hours just vanish into a computer  screen and we have nothing to show for it - it's not that great .
As for me ,I decided never to do any work from home after that. Sit in a library, park or anywhere else and but keep your technological gadgets away if you really want to write and complete your assignments in time .
When you’re working as a freelancer, you might think you have all the free time in the world to do whatever you want, whenever you want. A freelancers job may look easy on the outside but it is far from that . 
I had often expressed my wish of  turning into a freelancer who worked from home. 
 After working from home that day or should I say not working from home that day, 
I never tried it again. I realised that day that however easy it may seem on the outside,being a freelancer is not all that easy . It requires discipline, dedication and commitment and management amidst distraction and chaos.
I would like to say kudos to all the freelancers out there. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mr.Nosy Parker

"It's Ringing ." "Pick it up ." "It could be important ." How many times have you heard that ?  It's a nuisance .I've nicknamed it Nosy Parker .It is ill mannered,it interrupts whenever it wants to - like the middle of the night . It gets out of control yet people don't put a leash on it .  It creeps up whenever it wants to ,anytime and anywhere. Talk about stalking- it's a pro at that . It scares the hell out of you when it comes up unexpectedly at your door . If you refuse to entertain it ,it pesters you . The word privacy is not in its dictionary .It doesn't understand that people may like solitude and their space. Imagine yourself at a theater,seated in a perfectly silent auditorium , engrossed in the most powerful performances being delivered by your favorite actors, at the edge of your seat ,waiting for the suspense to unfold ...  and suddenly it starts ringing!  It breaks the spell and the momentum . Hateful, vile, inexcusabl

Magnificent miniature paper city

Paper craft  It's a city . Paper city ? Who made this ? It must be made of cardboard,I thought . I was wrong .  These creations took my breath away as they will yours . Mesmerizing stuff .Could almost walk through those alleys myself . Breathtaking city in paper .   And I thought I was brilliant at making those paper boats,planes ....oh well ! Never mind . Worth a look .  These figures come from the “Lavazza Fairy Tales”. The announcement was made in animation by using stopmotion technique. It is installed in a paper city. Buildings are made three-dimensional and the characters are bi-dimensional. In order to make the publicity, more than one thousand paper shapes were used, and each of them has a different movement. The shapes were drawn, at the beginning, at hand and then, modifi ed in the post-production and afterwards, in the end, cut with a cut laser printer. Houses are made in shapes of polystyrene cubes covered by thin cardboard sheets. Don't miss the intricately carved

A ball of confusion

                                                                                               Earth from the view point of a Martian ( if he exists) If we isolate ourselves from Earth , getting away some distance from our world ,it would help us focus our attention on what it is otherwise too obvious to notice while we stay on it . To see what we may be really like it will help if  we  put ourselves into the  shoes of a "Martian," if he happens to wear such an invention of the earth in the first place  .  So what do Martians see of Planet Earth ? What they see today is a population of over six billion people crawling out from every nook and corner like caterpillars . Now ,almost all of  this six billion devote a significant fraction of their time and energy to some sort of religious activity: rituals such as daily prayer (both public and private) or frequent attendance at ceremonies.Does this bring about a change in them?  From their point of view ,it must be hard keeping up